The Ultimate Cheap Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
I tend to get a little too excited about recipes from time to time.
The kind of excited that makes me want to stop what I’m doing – no matter how important it might be – and start cooking right away.
What Makes This Breakfast Sandwich Special? Baked Egg.
This happened to me the other day when I stumbled upon a brilliant idea from Finding Joy in My Kitchen.
An English muffin breakfast sandwich that features egg patties that are made in a muffin tin. If these eggs were made in a skillet, this would be just another breakfast sandwich. But these egg patties are clean, compact, and perfectly portioned.
This sandwich has the look and practicality of a fast-food breakfast sandwich – but without the all the preservatives and questionable ingredients.
You can also eat these without the English muffin. The egg cups can be made-ahead and reheated in the microwave or toaster oven.
Serve with some homemade hot sauce!
The Cost: 80 Cents
The other great thing about this sandwich is its cost. Each breakfast sandwich costs about 80 cents.
When it comes to cheap recipes, it doesn’t get any better than this!
Fried Egg Sandwiches
Looking for a quicker, easier version of this breakfast sandwich? Just fry the egg instead of baking it and sub toast for the English muffin.
There are so many different variations and add-ons, that no two sandwiches have to be alike.
Get the recipe: Fried egg sandwiches.
More Budget-Friendly Breakfast Ideas
- Low-carb eater? Try these cauliflower-based English muffins.
- Another option: Use homemade buttermilk baking powder biscuits as the base.
- Try something totally unique: Breakfast empanadas
For egg patties
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk or half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped bacon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped chives
- 4 English muffins
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Fresh spinach leaves
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease four individual muffin cups. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and milk together. Add onion, red pepper, bacon, salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture evenly into muffin cups. Top with chives. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until eggs are set. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 425F. Cut English muffins in half and place on a flat baking sheet. Top each half with shredded cheese. Bake in oven for about five minutes, or until English muffins are toasted and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and place one egg patty on each sandwich. Top with spinach leaves. Serve with hot sauce, mayonnaise, or your choice of sauce.