A Peek Inside My Grocery Bag: Getting Cheap Groceries at ALDI

Getting cheap groceries at ALDI

My friend Meredith has graciously offered to let us peek into her grocery bag to see what kinds of deals she’s scored at ALDI. She shops at ALDI once a week to stock up on groceries for the week, and typically spends around $30.00.

I’m usually pretty pleased at the quality of food I get at ALDI. The produce is usually fresh, and there is an increasingly large selection of organic foods available. Plus, they regularly come out with interesting new products (like poke bowls!) which are fun to try.

If you’re on a strict food budget, remember: Where you shop matters.

Your money will go a lot further at a discount grocery store like ALDI, as opposed to a regular or high end grocery store (see my grocery store price comparison post). Set aside time in your schedule like Meredith does, and make a weekly trip to ALDI or another budget-friendly grocery store.

ALDI Shopping Bag #1

Getting cheap groceries at ALDI foods

• Wheat crackers: $1.25

• Raspberries: $1.89
  • Plums: $.39
  • Nectarines: $1.17
  • Watermelon (not pictured): $3.89

Total amount for groceries pictured above: $28.26

Shopping at ALDI for Appetizers

I shopped at ALDI when I was putting together my $10 appetizer platter last fall. I paid $.88 for spreadable cheese and $2.80 for a big package of Genoa salami. I was able to put together a huge (and delicious!) appetizer spread for less than $10.

Cheap appetizers for a party - The $10 appetizer spread

This post is not sponsored by ALDI. I’m simply writing about it because it’s a great place to get cheap groceries. Stay tuned for upcoming posts about other grocery stores that consistently offer great prices. (P.S. I also shop at Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods!)

And while I have your attention: Be sure to like my Facebook page, where I only post interesting, relevant stuff. I promise!

15 Responses to “A Peek Inside My Grocery Bag: Getting Cheap Groceries at ALDI”

Annie — June 4, 2013 @ 2:34 pm

Meredith is a star!! Great post… though next we need a trip to Cub Foods… 🙂

Kathy — June 4, 2013 @ 4:07 pm

Oh how I wish we had an ALDI near us!

suzanne collier — June 5, 2013 @ 3:24 pm

I love the great buys at Aldi. I always get eggs and coffee (Donut blend whole or ground). I check online for their specials like .99 pineapples! Artisan lettuce is wonderful and keeps for a long time. I can do most of my grocery shopping there.

• Haley replied: — June 5th, 2013 @ 3:33 pm

That’s an amazing price for a pineapple!

dan — June 5, 2013 @ 8:20 pm

I love it!
    I’ve never been to Aldi’s but my next grocery run will be an inaugural visit.

mary martinez — July 7, 2013 @ 5:22 am

i had gone to aldi with my sis. i tried to get my mom to check it out for months we went to eat less than a block away and were going shopping after lunch so i tried again she gave in now we shop every week she loves it. i have not found any of there things that were not as good or better than major store brands there produce is always cheap ours always has milk for $1.99 all i can say is if you have an ALDI near you you owe it to yourself to go see for your self

Mally — August 14, 2013 @ 10:08 pm

Aldi is the best! I feed a family of 5 for $200 a month, so that’s stop #1 for us, supplemented by our small garden and a few sales items at other places. Unlike the other discount places I’ve been, they have a good number of “ingredients” (rice, beans, plain yogurt, soy milk, flour, dried fruit, etc), rather than simply cheap processed foods, and also carry things like dark chocolate that we couldn’t afford to splurge on at a regular grocer. That makes it a lot easier to eat well on a tight budget. PLUS, they have a guarantee on all their store brand items- if you don’t like it, you get DOUBLE your money back. How do you beat that?

• Haley replied: — August 15th, 2013 @ 3:03 am

$200 a month for 5 people is amazing!

Mally — August 15, 2013 @ 9:21 pm

It was a lot harder in the beginning, before I had much of a plan. But now it’s second nature. The trick is to shop to fill the pantry (based on what’s cheap/seasonal that week) and decide what to make with it afterwards- if you shop for ingredients for several difference recipes a week, it adds up really fast. Instead, I have a short list of “must always have” staples, like flour, rice, etc, that I can make into unlimited dishes. Doesn’t hurt to know how to cook either! Love your blog, btw. Cheap recipe inspiration is always welcome! 🙂

Susan @ SunfowerHugs.blogspot.com — November 14, 2013 @ 4:01 pm

I have an Aldi and I love it!
    Instead of bringing plastic bags, I made bags out of old t shirts (cut off sleeves to make handles and sewed up the bottoms to create the bag). They hold a ton of stuff, last forever and were FREE!

Thrifty Thursday Link Party | Link Up Your Budget Friendly Blog Posts — November 21, 2013 @ 2:24 pm

[…] The Joneses} 7. Taylor Made Ranch {Living Deliberately: Voluntary Simplicity} 8. Cheap Recipe Blog {Getting Cheap Groceries at Aldi} 9. The Centsible Life {50 Stocking Stuffers under $1} 10. May Richer Fuller Be {Ikea Hack: […]

Keturah — January 22, 2014 @ 2:15 am

We are from Roseville but living In Peru right now. I asked someone to bring us some corn tortillas from Aldi, but they couldn’t find them. They were also in Wisconsin. Any clue if the Aldis in MN are still carrying the corn tortillas? (Specifically looking for the corn and not the flour, they were up near the registers in the Mexican food section at the Aldi on Lexington and University.)

Shalee-Nalla — April 25, 2017 @ 4:00 am

I bought some sour cream at our aldi and it was green it expired next month  and they said they couldn’t do anything about it so u need to find out what your aldis will not take back if it’s bad …..

• Haley replied: — May 8th, 2017 @ 12:53 am

Good to know!

The Top 10 Frugal Cooking Blogs | Q Link Wireless Blog — October 24, 2017 @ 2:48 pm

[…] Our Favorite Post: A peek inside my grocery bag: Getting cheap groceries at ALDI […]