Paleo Freezer Chocolate (Sugar-Free)
One month ago, I gave up sugar. Cold turkey.
What’s the first thing I did when I gave it up? I brainstormed sugar-free dessert ideas. Go figure.
What I have learned is that you can make a totally delicious dessert (or sweet snack) without using sugar. These chocolates – oh my wow – prove that point. They are so decadent, so rich, and so delicious. No sugar required.
Healthy, Paleo, and Sugar Free
This chocolate has just two required ingredients:
- Coconut oil: I buy mine at ALDI or Trader Joe’s. A big jar costs between $5.00 and $6.00
- Quality cocoa powder: This is one time I advocate for buying the best quality cocoa powder you can afford. I used Penzey’s Dutch process high fat cocoa, which made this chocolate extra rich.
- Optional sweetener: If you like rich, dark chocolate with a slight coconut flavor, you probably don’t need to add sweetener. But if you want a slightly sweet chocolate, you can certainly add in a tablespoon of sweetener (honey, sugar, maple syrup, etc.) or a few drops of liquid stevia. But promise me you’ll try it without, okay?
Money-saving tip: If you regularly buy dark chocolate, consider making your own at home. This version is just as good, if not better than a good quality dark chocolate bar. You will save a lot of money by making yours homemade!
Changes Are Coming!
For reasons I won’t get into at this time, I’m modifying my diet drastically, cutting out all dairy and grains – in addition to sugar.
I’m following a version of the paleo diet. For the foreseeable future, I will be posting recipes that fit into this diet. I will emphasize the cheap, of course. But do expect to see a bit of a different approach.
Even if you’re not paleo, even if you’re not trying to cut out grains and gluten, I think you’ll like what I have up my sleeve!
Paleo Freezer Chocolate
Yield: 6 pieces
Prep Time:5 min
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- Optional add-ins: Almonds, coconut, dried cranberries, maple syrup, honey, sea salt, etc.
- Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper. Thoroughly mix coconut oil and cocoa powder together in a small mixing bowl. Add any additional ingredients (nuts, dried fruit, etc.). Pour chocolate mixture into prepared pan and place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and take the chocolate out of the pan. Break it into pieces using a knife - or just break it with your hands. Store chocolate in fridge or freezer - it will melt at room temperature.