Easy Salmon Patties
Fresh salmon is out of many people’s food budgets.
But even if you’re on a tight food budget, there’s no reason to deprive yourself of salmon in all its deliciousness and healthfulness.
This recipe uses budget-friendly canned salmon in the most delicious way. Nothing fancy, but still really tasty.
And it couldn’t be easier to make.
Easy Salmon Patties: Recipe Tips
Never made salmon patties before? Here’s the process, in a nutshell: All the ingredients are mixed together, formed into patties, and pan fried.
Easy as pie!
These are delicious served with a salad and dipping sauce, but here are some additional serving suggestions:
Make a salmon burger: Serve salmon patty on a toasted bun, sauce (recipe below), lettuce, and tomato slices.
Paleo/Keto/Whole30/low carb option: Instead of saltine crackers, substitute 1/4 cup almond meal.
More Recipes Using Canned Seafood
Canned seafood is a budget grocery shopper’s dream! Here are some recipes to try:
Got leftovers? These are delicious the next day. Serve with a salad or make a salmon-salad sandwich by adding a bit of mayo and mixing it all up.
For salmon patties
- 2 cans canned salmon (14.75 ounces each)
- 2 eggs, slightly beatened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 10 saltine crackers, crushed
- 2 green onions, chopped (plus more for garnish)
- Juice from 1/2 lemon (plus more lemon for serving)
- 1/2 small yellow onion, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Thousand Island dressing
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seafood seasoning
- Combine all salmon patty ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Take about 1/3 cup of the mixture, and using your hands, form into a patty with uniform thickness. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with remaining filling.
- If time allows, place salmon patties in the fridge for 30 minutes or longer. This will help the patties keep their shape throughout cooking process.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Fry patties for about 90 seconds on one side, flip, and cook for another 60 seconds on the other side - or until nicely browned.
- When done frying, place patties on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- Serve with sauce and chopped green onion as a garnish.