Creamy Vegetable Soup (Paleo)
Do you ever find yourself with a fridge full of odds-and-ends of vegetables?
A sweet potato here.
A couple of carrots there.
Random other vegetables in the refrigerator crisper drawer.
Before you let these veggies get old – and certainly before you throw them out – I have a killer idea for you:
The best part? You can use virtually any combination of vegetables!
Go ahead, clean out your fridge!
About The Recipe: Creamy Paleo Vegetable Soup
Here are three great reasons to make this soup:
- Clean out your fridge: This is the ideal recipe to make when you have a bunch of vegetables that need to get eaten up. See below for a list of vegetables that will work well in this soup.
- Eat healthy: This soup is super creamy and decadent without the addition of cream or excessive fat. The vegetables are cooked until tender and then blended into an extra creamy soup. This recipe is:
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Grain free
- Vegetarian & vegan (if you use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth)
- It’s super simple to make: Just peel/prep your veggies, brown onions, add stock, cook until tender, and puree. So simple!
What Vegetables Can I Use?
Virtually any type of vegetable can be used to make this creamy vegetable soup, but please note: The color and flavor will vary depending on what type of vegetables you use!
Here are some vegetables that will work well:
- Sweet potato
Once you’ve cooked the vegetables and run through the blender, you can add herbs and spices to your liking:
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
Start with just a pinch and go from there.
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 large chicken bouillon cubes (or vegetable stock for vegetarian/vegan diets)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Other herbs and spices, to taste: Garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, dill, parsley
- Brown onion in olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in minced garlic.
- Add vegetables, water, and chicken bouillon. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for 15 minutes, until vegetables become fork-tender.
- Turn off heat and allow mixture to cool until it's comfortable to touch (doesn't need to be cold). Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return mixture to pot, taste, and add salt, pepper, and spices to your liking.
- Heat soup and serve.