Creamy Paleo Sausage Kale Soup
A thick, hearty, paleo-friendly soup that’s creamy thanks to the addition of cashew cream.
I find it’s quite easy to stick to a paleo diet if I have a bunch of good paleo recipes up my sleeve.
This is especially true with paleo soup recipes. Why?
Most soups make great leftovers. Soup often tastes better the next day (this soup is no exception!)
I’m usually cooking for one, so making soup guarantees I’ll have several meals worth of leftovers.
If you’re cooking for a crowd, consider doubling this recipe so you can enjoy leftovers.
Creamy And Dairy-Free, Thanks To Cashew Cream
What makes this soup recipe decadent and rich?
The cashew cream.
Cashew cream makes this soup rich and creamy without dairy.
To make: Soak a cup of cashews in water at least an hour (or overnight). Drain, place in blender, add 1/2 cup water, and puree until smooth.
- Instead of buying canned or packaged chicken broth, I use chicken bouillon powder mixed with water. This is many times cheaper than buying canned chicken broth.
- Look for frozen pork sausage. A 1-lb package cost $2.49 at ALDI. Just remember to thaw before starting the soup-making process.
- Instead of buying individual onions, purchase a bag. This is often much cheaper – and onions last a long time in the fridge’s crisper drawer.
More Paleo-Friendly Soup Recipes
Looking for more low-carb, grain-free, dairy-free, low-sugar soup recipes? Check out these other paleo-friendly soup recipes from Cheap Recipe Blog:
Thanks to my friend Sam for inspiring this delicious paleo-friendly soup. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! This might become a regular rotation in your household!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground pork sausage
- 8 ounce package white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 14.5-ounce cans of diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth (or equivalent water + chicken bouillon cubes/powder)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Crushed black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for at least an hour
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large soup pot or dutch oven. Add onions and cook for a minute to soften. Add pork sausage and cook for about 4 minutes until browned, breaking up meat as you go.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 3 to 4 more minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Add canned tomatoes, chicken broth, and spices. Turn heat down to a simmer. Add chopped kale.
- Add cashew cream and allow soup to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Make cashew cream: After soaking cashews in water for at least an hour, drain and place cashews in a blender. Add 1/2 cup water and puree until smooth.