Cream Cheese-Stuffed Chocolate Mint Cookies
These stuffed cookies are decadent and perfect for the holidays: Rich chocolate, minty cream cheese, red and green sprinkles – what more could you want?
Do you have a favorite cookie recipe?
And it’s the ultimate cookie: A stuffed cookie.
This cream cheese-stuffed chocolate cookie recipe from Spruce Eats has become my go-to cookie recipe for potlucks, picnics, and gatherings. I’ve made them probably 5 or 6 times – and they’re always a hit.
I used this as the base recipe and made a couple of tweaks to come up with a holiday version of the cookie:
- I added mint to the cream cheese filling
- I added colored sprinkles
If you’ve never had a stuffed cookie, it’s time to try them. Actually, it’s time to make them yourself!
Cookies are awesome on their own, as you all know.
But stuffing cookies with additional ingredients – whether it be marshmallows, caramel, chocolate, or cream cheese – brings them to a whole new level.
This recipe’s base is a moist, chewy chocolate cookie. The dough is flattened into a disc, and a dollop of minty cream cheese filling is added. The chocolate cookie dough is wrapped around the filling and it’s baked, resulting in -you guessed it – a stuffed cookie.
More Festive Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Norwegian Pepperkaker Cookies
- Chipotle Almond Biscotti Recipe
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Gingersnaps With Spiked Eggnog Glaze
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (210 grams)
- 3/4 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons melted Crisco (or other brand of vegetable shortening)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
For cream cheese filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon mint flavoring
- Red and green sprinkles
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add chocolate chips.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg, egg yolk, and corn syrup.
- In a third bowl, use an electric mixer to beat butter, shortening, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth - about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg mixture to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients until the dough comes together. You may need to finish mixing with a spatula if the dough is too thick.
- Take 2 tablespoons of dough (using a scoop or measuring it out) and set aside on a parchmant paper-lined baking sheet. Flatten each of the dough balls into a flat disc. Repeat with remaining dough and place in the fridge to cool for an hour.
- Make cream cheese filling: In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, and mint flavoring. Taste and add more mint flavoring, if desired. Place in fridge until ready to assemble.
- Assemble cookies: Place 2 teaspoons of cream cheese filling in the middle of a dough round. Sprinkle with red and green sprinkles. Fold the dough over to create a ball. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place dough balls on parchment-lined cookie sheet and freeze for 1 hour to harden. This will help prevent the cookies from spreading while baking.
- Bake in 350 F oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until cookies become slightly crinkly on top.