Savory Roasted Cabbage
A super simple cabbage side dish recipe that is Paleo, Keto, Whole30, low carb, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan!
I’ve heard it a million times: You can’t eat healthy on a budget!
My response is always, “Yes you can! You just have to have the right recipes.”
This is one of those recipes.
This delicious savory roasted cabbage recipe is a healthy by most standards, and fits many of today’s popular diets:
- Gluten free
- Low carb
It’s so simple. But so good – trust me. There’s something about roasting cabbage that brings out the sweetness and buttery-ness of this vegetable.
(It’s very similar to roasted cabbage steaks, but it’s easier to make/screw up!)
If you’re looking to save money on food while eating healthy, consider the humble cabbage!
I purchased this cabbage for $2.16. The other ingredients added about 50 cents to the recipe.
All in all, this recipe cost $2.65 for 6 servings – That’s just 44 cents per serving.
See? Healthy and cheap.
Two Secrets To Making This Recipe
There are two things you should keep in mind when making this recipe:
- Once the cabbage is chopped and oil and spices are added, you really want to massage them into the cabbage leaves to evenly distribute the seasonings and oil.
- Avoid the temptation of adding more seasonings. It’s easy for this to become too salty/too seasoned. Follow the recipe, below.
Note: You can add either (or both) fried bacon and cheese to this recipe. However, you’ll want to cut down on the spices used as these will both make it more salty.
More Cheap And Healthy Side Dish Recipes
- Buttery Baked Carrots
- Carrot Fries Recipe
- Mashed Carrot Potatoes With Bacon Recipe
- Creole Sweet Potatoes
- Cheese and Tomato Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Recipe
- 1 medium head of green cabbage (between 1.5 and 2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chicken Better Than Bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon of each salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 415F. Rinse cabbage and remove outer layer of leaves. Cut off stem and chop cabbage into bite-size pieces.
- Place choppped cabbage in a casserole dish or cake pan. Add chopped onion. Drizzle with olive oil and add spices.
- Use your hands to mix everything together, massaging the cabbage leaves so the oil and spices get evenly distributed.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until cabbage is tender and a few of the leaves are toasted brown.