Cheesy Breakfast Potatoes
You’re having guests for breakfast or brunch: What are you going to make? These cheesy breakfast potatoes are an ideal pick: They’re crowd-pleasing, filling, and hold their own as the star of your breakfast table.
There are daily breakfast recipes – and then there are special occasion breakfast recipes.
This recipe is ideal for all types of special occasion breakfasts:
- You’re having guests overnight and need to make breakfast or brunch
- You want to make something special on the weekend
- You’re hosting a brunch baby shower or bridal shower
A Spin On Funeral Potatoes
If you have ever tried funeral potatoes, this recipe might look familiar. I’ve basically taken classic funeral potatoes and given them a breakfast spin.
Not familiar with funeral potatoes? They’re creamy, cheesy, amped-up baked hash browns made with condensed soup, sour cream, and topped with crunchy, buttery corn flakes.
This breakfast version contains sausage, bacon, and green chilis for a bit of kick.
Money-Saving Shopping Tips
- Shop the grocery store salad bar: You can often find small amounts of ingredients on the grocery store salad bar. For this recipe, look for shredded cheddar cheese and ready-cooked bacon bits.
- Shop discount: ALDI is my go-to grocery store for purchasing cheap staples, including most of what is in this recipe.
- Buy generic: There’s no need to buy name-brand ingredients for this recipe. Generic cream of chicken soup will work just as well as Campbell’s. Same goes for the corn flakes, sausage, green chilis, etc.
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time?
You can prepare this recipe up to a day in advance.
The only step you’ll skip is adding the buttery corn flake topping. Do that right before you bake.
What To Serve With Cheesy Breakfast Potatoes
These potatoes hold their own on your breakfast table. But if you’re looking to round out the first meal of the day, you can serve with:
- Perfect scrambled eggs
- Croissants or breakfast pastries
- Fresh fruit
- 30 ounce package frozen hash browns
- 2 cups sour cream
- 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked chopped bacon
- 5 breakfast sausage patties
- 4.5 ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 cups corn flakes cereal
- Thaw potatoes: Let the hash browns thaw in the refrigerator overnight or place on a large baking sheet and heat in the oven at 200F for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a large mixing bowl, combine thawed hash browns, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, 6 tablespoons melted butter, spices, cheese, bacon, sausage, and green chilies.
- Place potato mixture into a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish (or cake pan).
- Place corn flakes into a large Zip Lock bag. Add remaining 4 tablespoons of melted butter and shake bag (and squeeze a few times to break down the cereal) to evenly coat.
- Place buttered corn flakes evenly on top of potatoes. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until golden brown.