Honey Roasted Garbanzo Beans Recipe

Honey roasted chickpeas. A sweet twist on classic roasted chickpeas. Repin to save!

By now, we’ve all tried traditional roasted garbanzo beans. They’re Internet-famous, after all. And super tasty.

After making several batches of the traditional kind, I decided to experiment with a sweeter version. One that is roasted in butter and sweetened with honey.

The verdict?

These honey roasted garbanzo beans (chickpeas) are surprisingly addictive. Like other roasted garbanzo beans, they have a nice crunch to them. But what makes them different is a slight sweetness. So if you’re looking for a healthier alternative to potato chips or crackers, this is a good snack recipe to have up your sleeve.

Honey Roasted Garbanzo Beans Recipe

Cook Time: 40 min

A note about baking time: Like other roasted garbanzo beans, you want to cook these long enough so they have a nice crunch. Otherwise, you'll end up with mushy chickpeas. Test a couple around the 40 minute mark to check for crunchiness.

• 1 15-ounce can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
  • Pinch of fine grain sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Blot chickpeas with a paper towel to remove excess water. Place chickpeas on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
  2. In the meantime, mix melted butter and honey together in a small bowl. After chickpeas have baked for 30 minutes, remove from oven and pour on the honey butter mixture. Stir to evenly coat. Sprinkle on a small amount of salt. Return to oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes or so, until chickpeas are completely crunchy.

Love Crunchy and Healthy Bean-Based Snacks? Check Out These Similar Recipes:

Roasted garbanzo beans recipe

Get the recipe: Classic roasted garbanzo beans

Roasted edamame recipe

Get the recipe: Roasted edamame

Roasted kidney beans recipe. An alternative to roasted chickpeas.

Get the recipe: Roasted kidney beans

Pin It

10 Responses to “Honey Roasted Garbanzo Beans Recipe”

SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen — January 3, 2013 @ 3:59 pm

I’ve been itching to try a roasted chickpea recipe! My sister just made a salt & vinegar version — but these are more my style.

• Haley replied: — January 4th, 2013 @ 3:34 pm

Ooh, salt & vinegar roasted chickpeas sound wonderful! Do you just toss the chickpeas in vinegar before roasting?

Alyssa (Everyday Maven) — January 4, 2013 @ 5:49 pm

I make roasted chickpeas a lot but have never done it with honey – sounds fantastic! Happy New Year Haley! :)

Amber @ Mama's Blissful Bites — January 5, 2013 @ 3:38 am

Chickpeas are my heaven! They are so delicious! I have yet to find the right spices to make roasted chickpeas to my liking but after I read your post, I thought – SHE’S a GENIUS! Awesome idea. Honey = fabulous! Will be in my oven tomorrow morning! Thank you for sharing!

• Haley replied: — January 5th, 2013 @ 4:06 am

I agree! I always have a can on hand. They’re so versatile!

Teriyaki Salom — January 9, 2013 @ 4:23 am

The pictures is increasing my appetite and can’t wait to try this recipe and get the taste of it.

Thanks for such wonderful recipe!!

Deborah — January 17, 2013 @ 4:14 am

I am totally making these tomorrow – they sound amazing!! Thanks so much for linking up to Taste and Tell Thursdays!

• Haley replied: — January 17th, 2013 @ 5:42 am

Thanks for having me! I hope you enjoy.

Taste and Tell Thursdays - Lemon Herb Roasted Potatoes {giveaway} | — January 17, 2013 @ 11:02 am

[…] Honey Roasted Garbanzo Beans from Cheap Recipe Blog […]

Melissa @ Witness My Fitness — July 27, 2015 @ 5:08 am

I have to say that we tried this recipe and it was delicious!  I now have several packages of garbanzo beans awaiting roasting so we can have more of these!  I featured this recipe in a list of my favorite snack recipes on my blog!  Thank you and happy snacking!