Cilantro-Lime Coleslaw Recipe
Cabbage-based salads and slaws are super cheap and can be prepared in many different ways. While I certainly enjoy classic coleslaw, this is one of my favorite dishes to play around with. In this recipe, cilantro adds flavor and almonds add a nice crunch. And all the flavors are brought together by a tangy cilantro-lime dressing – adding an interesting kick that I think you’ll enjoy.
Making An Impact Without Spending a Lot of Money
This recipe is inspired by a similar slaw I had at Von’s Roast House in Seattle last year on vacation. I enjoyed this restaurant not only for its food, but also for its attention to detail. A warm and slightly sweet cornbread was brought to our table right after ordering. At the end of the meal, we were given Atomic Fireball candies. These things added to our dining experience – and were free to us – but didn’t cost a lot for the restaurant.
I intend on doing a future blog post about ways to make an impact without spending a lot of money – inspired by my visit to Von’s. It truly doesn’t have to cost a lot of money to create a memorable meal or throw a fabulous dinner party. I would love to hear your ideas. Please share them below!
Other Cabbage-Based Salads
Cilantro Lime Coleslaw Recipe
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time:10 min
Total Time:15 min
- 1/2 bag of coleslaw mix (or about 3 to 4 cups of a DIY mix of chopped green and purple cabbage and chopped carrots)
- 2 green onion spears, chopped
- Handful of coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
For cilantro-lime dressing:
- Juice from two limes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 handful of cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 red Fresno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- In a medium mixing bowl, toss together coleslaw mix, green onion, chopped cilantro, and almonds. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together lime juice and olive oil. Add mayonnaise, sugar, and salt and mix well. Stir in chopped cilantro and Fresno pepper. Add dressing to the cabbage mixture, stir, and serve.