Creamy Garlic Tomato Soup With Grilled Cheese Croutons Recipe
Grilled cheese and tomato soup is a classic combination. Ask any kid and they’ll tell you it’s true.
But even the most tried and true flavor combinations can get boring sometimes, right?
Enter grilled cheese croutons.
Face it. You’re going to dip your grilled cheese sandwich right into the soup anyway, so why not have a little fun while you’re at it?
This clever idea comes from the Food Network Magazine. I actually didn’t follow their recipe, opting to follow my own generic grilled cheese instincts.
But recipe or not, this little meal surely delivered.
The cheese from the croutons melted nicely into the soup, and the toasted bread added a nice crunch.
I made this soup using a jar of tomatoes my dad canned from his garden this summer. There’s nothing like opening a can of fresh summer produce when there is a chill in the air. Bring it on, November! Bring it on.
If you’re not in the mood for grilled cheese (which would be weird, but no judgment here), this soup totally holds its own. Tomatoes, garlic, and cream is a winning taste combination no matter how its served.
Whatever you do, make sure to add the sugar as directed in the recipe. My mom always adds just a pinch of sugar to her savory recipes. It makes everything taste just a little bit better.
More Creamy Soups
- Hungarian mushroom soup
- Creamy Hawaiian coconut chicken soup
- Cheesy cornbread soup
- Roasted corn chowder
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 quart of canned tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 14.5 ounce can chicken broth (or equivalent water + bouillon)
- 3/4 cup half-and-half or whole milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder, to taste
For grilled cheese
- 4 slices bread of your choice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup cheese of your choice (I used shredded cheddar)
- To make soup: In a large saucepan, saute onions in olive oil until onions begin to soften - about three or four minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add tomatoes. After the tomato mixture warms, add baking soda and stir well. Don't worry - the mixture will foam slightly. Add chicken broth, half-and-half, and sugar, and mix well. Add spices to your liking. Simmer for 10 minutes or so, to allow flavors to come together.
- To make grilled cheese croutons: Spread one side of each bread slice with butter. Turn over two of the slices, top with cheese, and top with other bread slices, butter side up. Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add sandwiches and cook for two to three minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove from pan and allow to cool. Cut each sandwich into small square-shaped croutons. Set aside until soup is served.