Cheap Quinoa Tabouli Salad Recipe
Do you ever forget that you have certain food items stocked in your kitchen?
The ones that are buried deep in the back of your fridge or are pushed way to the back of your top cupboard?
It happens to me.
All. The. Time.
My most recent find was a bottle of almond juice. I don’t even know what almond juice is. What the what?!
Looking To Save Money? Inventory Your Fridge and Pantry.
Recently, I was on a mission to come up with a healthy and cheap salad recipe using food I already had on hand:
- I found a bag of quinoa in my cupboard that I had forgotten about (go figure).
- I also had a couple of Roma tomatoes that I had to use.
What did I make? This light and fresh quinoa tabouli salad with a delicious garlic tzatziki sauce – enough for two days!
All in all, I didn’t pay much at all for this salad, because I used what I had on hand, avoiding a potentially costly trip to the supermarket.
Now on to that almond juice…
- Dig deep in your cupboard and fridge to discover “forgotten” food items. Then use them up before they spoil or freeze them for future use.
- Once a week, plan a “clean out your fridge” meal night. See what creative meals you can come up with by only using what you have on hand.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- One handful parsley, chopped
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt or plain yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Garlic powder, to taste
Rinse quinoa with cold water in a fine mesh strainer (or use a regular strainer lined with a paper towel). Place quinoa in a sauce pan with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
Once quinoa is cool, add tomatoes, parsley, and green onion.
To make dressing, whisk lemon juice and olive oil together. Pour over quinoa salad.
To make garlic tzatziki sauce, combine all ingredients together. Serve on the side with pita chips.