Cheesy Hot Dog Wontons Recipe
Check out this new way to eat hot dogs: Wrapped in a crispy egg roll (or wonton) wrapper!
True story: You can fill egg roll or wonton wrappers with practically anything.
Most of the time, these creations are delicious. Who doesn’t like crispy, deep-fried treats?
This particular recipe is super fun: Cheesy hot dog wontons (or egg rolls).
About The Recipe: Cheesy Hot Dog Wontons
These hot dog wontons are a spin on pigs in a blanket. Although I love buttery crescent rolls, I wanted to try wrapping hot dogs in a wonton/egg roll wrapper instead.
Why? I love experimenting with wonton and egg roll wrapper-based recipes. They’re extremely easy to work with, and there’s no limit to what fillings you can include. Here are some I’ve tried:
- Banana-Nutella egg rolls
- Deep fried candy bars (Minnesota State Fair-inspired)
- Asparagus-cream cheese wonton fries
- Crab rangoons
- Buffalo chicken wontons
- Mango chicken wontons
- Turkey and cranberry wontons
- Shrimp and cream cheese firecrackers
- Crispy wonton crackers
- Basic egg rolls
- Ham, pickle, and cream cheese egg rolls
- Mozzarella sticks
A package of wonton or egg roll wrappers costs about $3.00. These are the ultimate blank canvas for all sorts of cheap appetizer recipes!
Do you have any other creative wonton wrapper recipe ideas? If so, I’d love to hear them in the comment section below.
What Kind Of Hot Dogs To Use
As you can see, I used regular, cheap hot dogs. They worked out pretty well, but I forgot that hot dogs expand when they’re baked. They tasted great – the cheese was oozing out of the wonton. But it was a little bit messy.
So when I make these next time, I’m going to use the longer, thinner hot dogs. (Like Nathan’s Famous Hot Dogs).
They’re a little more expensive, but I imagine they won’t expand as much as these.
Undoubtedly, I will be posting more wonton and egg roll wrapper recipes in the future. It’s in my blood.
Why not follow me on Instagram to get cheap recipe updates and look at pretty photos? Thanks for stopping by!
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 large egg roll wrappers
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. To assemble hot dog wontons, lay an egg roll wrapper in front of you in a diamond shape. At one end, sprinkle on a couple of tablespoons of cheese. Lay the hot dog on the cheese. Fold the egg roll wrapper over the hot dog, and begin rolling up, folding in the sides as you get to them. Secure the edges of the egg roll wrapper with a bit of water. Continue assembling the rest of the hot dogs.
- Place the hot dog wontons on a large baking sheet that has been greased with oil. Using a pastry brush, brush each wonton generously with olive oil. Place in oven and bake for approximately 12 to 15 minutes, or until the egg roll wrapper is crispy and the hot dogs are hot in the center. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes before serving. Serve with ketchup, mustard, and other toppings, if desired.