Banana-Nutella Egg Rolls Recipe
I’m excited to announce, publicly, that I have a new favorite dessert recipe:
Crispy, chocolaty, all-around perfect banana-Nutella egg rolls.
A sweet but not-too-sweet dessert that had my family literally lined up with forks and plates, ready to dig in.
(I also feel the need to apologize to my previous favorite recipe, pumpkin cookies with cream cheese frosting. Sorry, but you’ve been replaced.)
About The Recipe
So just last week, I posted a recipe for banana-Nutella ice cream, as a part of the $10 Food Day series. I had extra bananas and Nutella on hand, and picked up some egg roll wrappers at the store.
What happened next is sure to become ingrained in our family lore.
I made three batches of these within about 20 hours:
- First to see if they tasted good (they did).
- Second, as a late-night dessert.
- Third, the next day, to take photos of.
See what I mean?
In a nutshell, this is my all-time favorite dessert. Do yourself, your family, your friends, your neighbors a favor… Heck, do anyone a favor and make these dessert wontons!
The Cost: 42 Cents Each
- Egg roll wrappers (5) = $.76
- Banana (1) = $.25
- Nutella (5 tablespoons) = $.68
Total cost for four banana-Nutella egg rolls = $1.69
Total cost per egg roll = $.42
This recipe is adapted from I Breath… I’m Hungry…
Other Recipes Using Egg Roll or Wonton Wrappers
- Basic egg roll tutorial
- Deep fried candy bars (Minnesota State Fair-inspired)
- Asparagus-cream cheese wonton fries
- Cheesy hot dog wontons
- Buffalo chicken wontons
- Mango chicken wontons
- Turkey and cranberry wontons
- Shrimp and cream cheese firecrackers
- Crispy wonton crackers
- Ham and pickle rollup egg rolls
- Mozzarella sticks
- 4 large egg roll wrappers
- 1 banana
- 4 heaping tablespoons of Nutella
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Cut banana in half the long way. Cut each half in half again, lengthwise.
- Lay egg roll wrapper on the counter in front of you. Spread a bit of Nutella on each wrapper and lay a banana slice on top. (See photo above.) Start rolling from the bottom, fold in the sides when you get to them, and finish rolling until you have an egg roll. Seal the edges with a bit of water.
- Heat a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat (use enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan.) You'll know when the oil is hot enough when the egg roll wrapper sizzles when you place it in the oil. Place egg roll in the pan and cook on one side until golden brown. Turn and heat the other side until golden brown. Remove egg roll from pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Continue frying each egg roll.
- To serve, dust egg rolls with powdered sugar. Serve warm with extra Nutella for dipping, if desired.