You have probably seen popcorn like this at a candy store. And if you’re like me, you wondered “how do they make that?” Well now I know, and I’m sharing it with you!
Jell-O popcorn is very easy to make. You start out by making a sugary syrup containing a package of Jell-O, then you pour it over the popped popcorn and bake for 10 minutes.
The end result is a super flavorful, candied, crunchy popcorn. It’s super addictive!
Any flavor of Jell-O will work for this recipe. I tried four different flavors (cranberry, peach, apricot, and lime) and cranberry was my favorite. (A word of caution: Skip the lime!)
This popcorn is great on its own. But here are some additional ways to enjoy it:
- Holiday events – Orange Jell-O for Halloween, cranberry Jell-O for Christmas, red, white, and blue popcorn for the 4th of July, etc.
- Baby showers – Choose a Jell-O flavor appropriate for your baby shower theme
- Party favors – Make small packages of Jell-O popcorn for baby showers, bridal showers, kids’ birthday parties, etc.
If you haven’t heard, popcorn is one of the cheapest snacks out there. Check out these additional budget-friendly popcorn recipes on my blog:
- 8 cups popped popcorn
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 3-ounce package Jell-O (any flavor)
- Preheat oven to 300F. Grease a cookie sheet with butter or cooking spray. Place popped popcorn in a large bowl.
- Place butter, corn syrup, brown sugar, and Jell-O in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until simmering. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour Jell-O over popcorn and toss to coat.
- Pour popcorn onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool before breaking into pieces.