Fruited Wild Rice Bowls
These fruited wild rice bowls weren’t planned. They just kind of happened, prompted by a need to clean out my fridge and cupboard. We’ve all been there.
It all started with the wild rice, purchased a year and a half ago on a road trip across northern Minnesota. Then I added other tasty ingredients I had on hand (when did I amass all these mandarin oranges?!).
The only additional ingredients I purchased for these bowls was some rotisserie chicken and pomegranate seeds – which amazingly, I found tucked away on the grocery store salad bar. Therefore, for about 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds, I paid right around 50 cents. Awesome deal!
Save Money On Food: Use What You Already Have
If you add up the cost of all the ingredients for these bowls, this meal wouldn’t necessarily be considered cheap. But when you commit to using food you already have on hand – and combine those ingredients in new and delicious ways – the results can be inspiring.
Bowls are the perfect experimenting dish. Just start out with a base (like rice, beans or pasta) add veggies, fruit, protein, and some sort of dressing or sauce – and voila. You have a meal – and a lighter, cleaner pantry or fridge to boot.
… so about these bowls. Even though they just happened they were really, really delicious. Like they were planned the whole time. The fruit adds and irresistible sweetness and the dressing brings it all together.
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 can mandarin oranges (reserve liquid)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 cups kale, packed tightly and torn into bite-sized pieces
- Handful sugar snap peas
- Chopped yellow peppers
- Black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons liquid from can of mandarin oranges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- Divide wild rice among bowls. Top with chicken, mandarin oranges, almonds, kale, sugar snap peas, and yellow peppers.
- To make dressing, place all ingredients into a lidded jar and shake vigorously. Pour over bowls, top with sesame seeds, mix it all up, and enjoy!