How To Make Homemade Pizza Sausage
Who loves a good sausage pizza?
Making your own homemade pizza sausage at home is very affordable. I found a pound of breakfast sausage on sale for $1.99. I combined it with spices I had stocked in my kitchen and made it into delicious homemade sausage for pizza (or breakfast). This yielded enough for several pizzas (7 or 8).
I usually make a big batch and freeze the sausage in small portions so they’re ready to take out and use. Dinner prep couldn’t be easier!
This Sausage Can Also Be Used:
- Mixed into scrambled eggs
- On breakfast pizza
- In these make-ahead egg cups
- On top of a breakfast sandwich
- Made into breakfast sausage patties (to make: form into patties and bake instead of fry)
To Make The Pizza Pictured Below:
Top a pre-made crust (I buy mine at ALDI) with the following in order:
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked homemade pizza sausage (recipe below)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes at 420F. Remove from oven, top with chopped green onion and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
Pro tip: This homemade pizza sausage goes great on deep dish pizza!
Get more budget-friendly recipes, money-saving tips, and look at pretty photos by following Cheap Recipe Blog on Instagram.
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
Place pork sausage in a large frying pan and turn heat on to medium-high. Add spices, vinegar, and sugar and start stirring the sausage to break it up. Break up any large pieces. Fry until sausage is fully cooked, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove sausage from pan and place on a plate covered with paper towels. Allow sausage to cool. Use immediately or freeze for future use.