Chopped Italian Salad
Too often, restaurant salads cost as much as an entrée – but don’t fill you up.
This is NOT one of those salads.
This is a salad for people who want to get full on salad. You know who you are.
How To Make A Really Great Chopped Italian Salad
A chopped salad is a salad that contains a variety of ingredients that are cut in roughly the same size.
Here’s what you need to know to make a really great chopped Italian salad:
- Ingredients: A variety of fresh ingredients makes for a tasty and filling salad. If you’re looking to save money, you can certainly omit certain ingredients or make cost-effective substitutions (like using a regular cucumber instead of an English cucumber, for example).
- Size of ingredients: All of your ingredients should be cut in approximately the same size. This makes the salad easy to mix and pick up with a fork. Chopped salads are, as the name suggests, chopped and served all mixed together instead of layered on a plate.
- Dressing: You can buy Italian dressing ready-made, or make it yourself using this simple recipe:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Whisk all ingredients together, or place in a lidded jar and shake until incorporated.
Make It Paleo-Friendly
- Omit Parmesan cheese
- Purchase nitrate-free salami
- Purchase (or make) a sugar-free Italian dressing
Need A Good Salad Recipe?
If you have high expectations for a salad (read: delicious, filling, flavorful), check out these recipes:
- Broccoli, salami, sweet onion salad
- Kitchen sink pea salad
- Indian-spiced chickpea and peanut salad
- Falafel salad
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce
- 1/2 English cucumber
- Cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives
- 8 mini sweet peppers
- 6 pepperoncini peppers
- 12 salami slices
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Italian dressing
- Prep ingredients: Cut all salad ingredients into bite-sized pieces. The goal is to have most of the ingredients about the same size.
- Mix all ingredients in a large salad bowl, or prepare individual plates. Serve with Italian dressing.