Crockpot Salsa Chicken
I’m finally sold on the idea of crockpot dinners (I know what you’re thinking: “What took you so long?”). This recipe for crockpot salsa chicken was strangely easy. Considering how good it tasted, I would have expected it to complex and labor intensive. But that was simply not the case.
This recipe was inspired by Budget Byte’s slow cooker taco chicken bowls. The end result is an extremely flavorful shredded chicken that can be used in a variety of different ways (see below). I’m still scratching my head, trying to figure out how something so delicious could be so easy to make. But I guess that’s just the nature of slow cooker meals!
- Make chicken salsa bowls with rice, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, etc. (pictured above)
- Make chicken nachos, adding cheese, pickled jalapeños, and other appropriate toppings
- Make salsa chicken sliders
- Use as a filling for burritos, enchiladas or tacos
And don’t forget to freeze any leftovers. This chicken tastes great even after it’s been frozen.
But Wait, There’s More!
If you are interested in discovering more cheap recipe ideas that don’t taste cheap, if you know what I mean, please stay in touch via social media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest). I will keep you updated on the latest recipe posts and money-saving tips, without any spam or nonsense. I promise!
Crockpot Salsa Chicken Recipe
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast
- 2 cups tomato salsa (16 ounce jar)
- 1 cup pinto or black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a crockpot. Add 1/4 cup of water. Make sure that the liquid is covering the chicken. Place lid on and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Right before serving, shred the chicken with a fork (this will happen very easily, just by stirring). See above for serving suggestions. Freeze any extra chicken for up to two months.