California Roll Salad Recipe
Want your California roll fix without all the work? Make this simple and satisfying California roll salad!
All the California roll ingredients are there – but it looks different. Give this simple and fun recipe a try!
I am definitely a sushi fan, but it’s something that I don’t indulge in too often. Mostly because it’s quite pricey to order in a restaurant and too putzy to make at home.
The other day I was craving sushi and had all the ingredients on hand to make a California roll. However, I was sans a sushi mat. A thought occurred to me:
“Why not make a California roll into a salad?“
And thus was born this sushi-esque salad recipe.
California Roll Salad: The Cost
This turned out to be a satisfying substitute to the traditional California roll, and not surprisingly.
All of the components are there: vinegared rice, crab meat, spicy mayo, seaweed, etc.
And I didn’t pay much at all. Here’s a cost breakdown:
- Roasted seaweed snack from Trader Joe’s – $1.00 (I used about 1/10th of the package)
- Imitation crab – $2.50 for a large pack
- Cucumber – $1.00 (I used half)
- Rice – About $.40 for two cups
- Sriracha mayonnaise – About $.25 for 1/4 cup
Total cost: The total price paid for five salads was about $3.75 – or about $.75 per salad.
Now you can satisfy your sushi craving for much, much less than you’d spend at a Japanese restaurant.
Get More Cheap Sushi Recipes
- Spicy tuna sushi bowls
- Homemade quinoa sushi rolls
- Quinoa poke bowls
- Chicken sushi burritos
- Homemade California rolls
- Homemade teriyaki chicken sushi rolls
Make Homemade Sushi At Home For $1.40 Per Person
I love sushi but don’t eat it often because of the cost. I recently made homemade sushi rolls at home – and they were delicious.
The best part? The cost for 5 rolls was about $7.00, which equals roughly $1.40 per person. Get the recipe now.
- 2 cups prepared short-grain or sushi rice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1 package crab meat (imitation crab)
- 2 sheets roasted seaweed, crumbled, for garnish
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Remove from heat, remove rice from saucepan, and place on a plate to cool. Mix rice vinegar and sugar together to dissolve sugar. Add vinegar mixture to rice. Set aside.
- To assemble salads, place about 1/3 cup rice in the bottom of a small serving cup (see photos above). Top with cucumbers and crab meat.
- To make dressing, mix mayonnaise and Sriracha sauce together. Top each salad with a desired amount of dressing and seaweed/nori.