The $10 Food Day: Four Cheap Recipes to Feed a Family of Four
Feed a Family of Four for $10 a Day
Eating nutritious, delicious food does not have to cost a lot of money. In fact, you can feed not only yourself – but also your family for less than $10 a day.
The following recipes are part of my first $10 Food Day series. I am featuring four recipes (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack), enough to feed four people for less than 10 dollars – for the entire day.
How I Saved Money and Stuck To a $10 Food Budget
- I shopped at a regular, non-discount grocery store.
- I did not use coupons, but rather looked for in-store deals. For example, I found a pound of pasta for $.88.
- I bought the cheapest available ingredient – which is often the generic brand.
- I chose food items that were cheapest per unit. For example, I bought a bag of onions instead of buying one individual onion. Major cost savings here.
- I used some of my favorite cheap food items to come up with this menu: Oatmeal, lentils, pasta, and popcorn.
The $10 Food Day Menu
Breakfast: Berry Baked Oatmeal
This berry baked oatmeal costs $1.47 for four servings. Get the recipe here.
Lunch: Lentil and Tomato Soup
This hearty soup costs just $2.53 for four bowls. Get the recipe here.
Dinner: Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce With Pasta
Easily the best tomato sauce I’ve ever eaten. And it’s made with only three ingredients! Just $3.31 for four servings. Get the recipe here.
Snack: Sea Salt Popcorn
This sea salt popcorn is delicious on its own, but feel free to add some spices or homemade popcorn sprinkle for a little something extra. Just 23 cents for one huge bowl of popcorn. Get the recipe here.
Total Cost Of $10 Food Day Menu: $7.53
All four recipes cost just $7.53. There is even some wiggle room to account for drinks, bread, fresh fruit and vegetables, or other food.
More $10 Food Day Recipes!
Don’t see anything you like above? Want more inspiration? You’re in luck – I’ve done two more $10 Food Day post series:
First Time Visiting Cheap Recipe Blog?
I’m so glad you’re here! Please take some time to look around and discover more cheap recipes, leave a comment, and like my Facebook page so we can keep in touch!
- How do you feed your family on a budget?
- What are your some of your favorite ultra cheap meals?