The $10 Food Day: Egg Salad Sandwiches Recipe
Egg salad is one of those recipes that doesn’t really require a recipe. You know what I mean?
My recipe may be a little different than yours, mainly because I abide by my mom’s philosophy of adding just a pinch of sugar to almost every savory recipe. Sugar can add another dimension of flavor to everything from soup to pasta sauce.
I decided to include egg salad sandwiches in my second $10 Food Day series because, well, they’re just an all-around awesome thing to eat. So simple, yet so satisfying.
I hope you enjoy my take on the classic egg salad sandwich!
- Eggs (8) = $.64
- Mayonnaise (1/3 cup) = $.26
- Bread (8 slices) = $.80
- Mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper (approximate cost) = $.10
Total cost for four servings: $1.80
Eggs are all over the place in terms of cost.
Regular, non-organic eggs can be found for as cheap as 99 cents a dozen. Organic, free-range eggs or eggs from vegetarian-fed chickens can cost upwards of $4 or $5 a dozen.
For this recipe, I used eggs that cost 99 cents a dozen, on sale at the grocery store.
Tip: Make it a budget-friendly meal by adding some carrot sticks, fresh fruit, or crackers.
If egg salad sandwiches seem a little boring to you, try making buttery toasted bread like this. You will thank me.
To make: Generously butter both sides of a piece of bread. Place in a panini press or George Foreman Grill until light golden brown.
How to Make Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Place eggs in a large saucepan and add enough water to fully cover eggs.
- Heat over medium-high heat and bring to a full, rolling boil. Boil for about a minute and turn off heat.
- Leave eggs in the water while it cools. Once the water is cool, the eggs are ready to peel and eat.
View the other $10 Food Day recipes:
- Breakfast: Banana-oat pancakes
- Lunch: Egg salad sandwiches
- Dinner: Tortilla shell pizzas
- Snack: Banana-Nutella “ice cream”
If you’re trying to save money on food, try making more egg-based meals like:
- How to make an amazingly fluffy omelette
- Make-ahead breakfast egg cups
- Banana-egg pancakes
- Fried egg sandwiches
- 8 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
- Mash eggs with the back of a fork or a potato masher. Place in a bowl and add mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper. Spread egg salad on bread, top with chopped green onions, and serve.