How To Make Solid Perfume Out Of a Perfume Sample
I have been a Birchbox subscriber for nearly 3 years, but I recently cancelled my subscription because of sample overload:
Simplifying my life and getting rid of excess stuff is something I have worked hard on over the past year or so.
I have sold stuff on eBay, at consignment shops, and at our annual rummage sale. I have donated bags of clothes and household items to Goodwill. And I have given friends items that I think they would love more than I do.
And those dozen or so perfume samples?
I made them into solid perfume!
(I plan to keep a couple myself, and give the rest to friends)
How To Make Solid Perfume Out Of Mini Perfume Samples
Solid perfume is so handy to have on hand – much better than small glass tubes of perfume that can get lost or break in your purse. Here’s how to make it:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon beeswax pellets (You can purchase at Whole Foods, natural food co-ops, craft stores, and online: Beeswax Organic Pastilles, Yellow, 100% Pure 16 Oz)
- 1 perfume sample (standard size, approximately .04 fl oz or 1.2 ml)
Place olive oil and beeswax in a small microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir until beeswax melts. If necessary, microwave in additional 15-second increments until beeswax melts. (You can also heat on the stovetop).
While the oil/beeswax mixture is still hot, spray or pour in perfume. Mix well, and pour into a small container. Allow to sit for an hour before using.
Please note: It’s totally fine if your perfume vial isn’t full. My vial was about 2/3 full, and my solid perfume turned out to be very potent. You can also make solid perfume out of regular, non-sample perfume. This is a good option if you want to keep your favorite scent in your handbag.
Like To Make Your Own DIY Beauty Products? Check These Out:
- Lemon skin balm (that smells like a lemon cookie!)
- Lemon-sugar hand scrub
- DIY lip scrub (a copycat LUSH recipe)
- Homemade Vaseline and tinted lip balm
- DIY Aromatherapy room spray (also made with perfume samples)