Let me introduce you to one of my all-time favorite salad recipes: Shoestring salad.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Ingredients: Shoestring salad is a mix of shredded carrots, tuna, green olives, and mayo – topped with French fried potato sticks. It sounds simple – and it is. But something about this mix of ingredients is just SO delicious. I can’t stop eating it.
- The cost: This salad is extremely budget-friendly. The base is carrots and the rest of the ingredients are pantry staples. This is the perfect low-cost dish to bring to a summer picnic or potluck.
- It’s healthy: If you’re trying to eat more vegetables or cut back on carbs, try this salad. You can certainly omit or cut back on the French fried potato sticks if you’re following a low carb or paleo diet.
Here are some more super cheap and easy salad recipes:
Shoestring Carrot Salad
Yield: 5 servings
Prep Time:15 min
- 5 large carrots
- 5-ounce can tuna, drained
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives
- 5-ounce can French fried potato sticks
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Using a grater or food processor with grater attachment, grate carrots. Mix in tuna and mayonnaise.
- Stir in most of the green olives and potato sticks. Use the rest to put on top of the salad. Top with green onions.