Ring Bologna And Sweet Corn Fried Rice
This fried rice came together on a whim, while inventorying my fridge and freezer. I had:
- A packet of frozen brown rice from Trader Joe’s
- A half package of ring bologna
- 2 ears of sweet corn
These ingredients screamed fried rice – and I happened to have everything else I needed to create the dish.
About The Recipe
The meat: I like adding meat to fried rice, and this ring bologna turned out to be a delicious choice. If you don’t have ring bologna on hand, you can substitute chicken sausage, kielbasa or another type of pre-cooked sausage. Ring bologna is a budget-friendly option. I used half of a package that cost $3.98.
About the rice: I always make fried rice using packets of frozen rice from Trader Joe’s. Using cold or frozen rice (as opposed to warm rice) makes all the difference when making fried rice. The rice gets crispy and not mushy.
Quick dinner recipe: This recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make. If you’re really efficient in the kitchen, you can probably have dinner on the table in 20 minutes!
More Ring Bologna Recipes
What else can you do with ring bologna?
- Cut it up and add to scrambled eggs
- Cut into coins and use as a pizza topping
- Fry it up and add a pinch of brown sugar at the end to caramelize
- Fry pieces of ring bologna and make into a sandwich – like a BLT but with ring bologna instead of bacon
Like fried rice? Try these recipes:
- Cooking oil
- 3 cups cooked cold or frozen rice (I used frozen rice packets from Trader Joe's)
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh sweet corn
- 7 ounces (1/2 packet) ring bologna, cut in small chunks
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh parsley, for topping
- Heat a tablespoon or so of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to soften. Next, add the sweet corn, and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes. Finally, add the ring bologna and cook for 2 more minutes, until meat begins to brown.
- Remove these ingredients from the pan and set aside on a plate. Clean out the pan, and heat another tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add cold or frozen rice, and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes, until rice browns.
- Move some of the rice aside, add a drizzle of oil, and add the egg to the pan. Stir to scramble the egg, and then mix it in with the rice mixture.
- Add the ring bologna mixture to the rice. Stir in soy sauce, garlic powder and salt. Add more of any spice, if desired. Top with chopped parsley and serve.