Microwaveable Cornbread In A Mug
Cornbread is the perfect accompaniment to many meals:
- Soups and stews
- Smoked meats
But making homemade cornbread is time-consuming. It takes about 25 to 30 minutes to bake cornbread, on average.
If you want homemade cornbread in less time, consider making it in the microwave.
Yes, it’s still good. Especially with honey butter.
This recipe makes enough for 2 people. Get out your biggest microwave-safe mug – this makes a big cake!
Is Microwave Cornbread As Good As Baked Cornbread?
I know what you’re thinking: Is it good? Should I just make homemade cornbread instead?
Here’s the deal: I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of microwave cornbread. The texture was about 90% there – it’s very slightly grainier than traditional cornbread. But still delicious.
If you’re entertaining guests, or if you have the time and energy to make cornbread from scratch, by all means go the traditional route.
But for a weeknight meal, or when a last-minute craving for cornbread hits (hello chili!), this cornbread will totally satisfy.
More In-a-Mug Recipes
This Cornbread Goes Great With:
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
For honey butter
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Mix all cornbread ingredients in a bowl.
- Transfer mixture into a large microwave-safe mug sprayed with cooking spray.
- Heat on high in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes. (Take the cornbread out at 2 minutes, insert a toothpick into the center, and if it comes out clean, the cornbread ready. )
- Allow to cool slightly, tip the mug over to remove cornbread, and top with honey butter.