10-Minute Mushroom Toasts: An Academy Awards-Inspired Recipe
Once a year, I get to combine two of my favorite things into one fun project: Movies and cooking.
Every year for the past 4 years I’ve teamed up with some very creative and talented bloggers to create recipes inspired by the Academy Awards Best Picture nominees.
These recipes are perfectly suited for your Oscars-themed party. It’s time to start planning!
2018 Academy Awards-Inspired Recipes
- Darkest Hour: Chocolate Tuile Cigars with Whisky Ganache from Suzanne of Flour Arrangements
- Dunkirk: Strawberry Brie Crostinis from Sharon of The Honour System
- Call Me By Your Name: Peach Focaccia from Kara of K&R Adventures
- Get Out: Black and White Cookies from Julia of Girl Meets Kitchen
- Lady Bird: Orange Baked Chicken Sandwiches from Alice of Dining With Alice
- The Post: Orange Vanilla Martinis from Holly and Lane of With Two Spoons
- The Shape of Water: Tuna Fish and Avocado Appetizer from Greta of Pickles Travel
My Movie: Phantom Thread
Phantom Thread is about Reynolds Woodcock, a prominent dressmaker in 1950s London. He, along with his sister, run a tight fashion house ship. Reynolds, a lifelong bachelor, meets Alma, a waitress, and asks her for dinner. She becomes his muse and lover, and the movie follows their relationship.
Much to my surprise, food was a central plot point to the movie. Two foods in particular, toast and mushrooms, were highlighted in various scenes.
As far as choosing a recipe to go with my film, mushroom toast was a no-brainer. Phantom Thread practically chose my recipe for me!
About The Recipe
I wanted to create a SUPER EASY recipe that could be prepared in minimal time.
Because if you’re throwing an Oscars-themed party – or any party, for that matter – you need recipes that are quick and easy to make. Your time is best spent chatting with your guests and making sure everything is going smooth – not fussing over complex dishes.
This recipe is done in three steps:
- Toast the bread
- Sautee the mushrooms
- Top toasts with cream cheese and mushrooms
How To Throw a Budget-Friendly Oscars Party
Want to throw a fabulous Academy Awards-inspired party on a budget? Keep these tips in mind:
- Keep it simple: If you’re cooking, choose two or three recipes (from the list above, obviously!) and one drink. More food options mean more money.
- Delegate: Get your friends and family involved. Some guests may enjoy making food or drink to share – so don’t hesitate to ask!
- Know where to shop: If you’re looking to save money on food, where you shop matters. Find out which grocery stores have the cheapest groceries.
Check Out Past Years’ Oscars-Inspired Recipes:
10-Minute Mushroom Toasts
Yield: 10 toasts
Cook Time: 10 min
Total Time: 10 min
- 8 ounce package white button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 7.5 ounce package garden vegetable cream cheese
- 5 slices rye bread
- Chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 325F. Cut rye bread slices in half and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until bread is toasted.
- While bread is toasting, cut mushrooms into thin slices. Sautee in butter over medium-high heat, stirring. Season with salt and garlic powder.
- Remove bread from oven. Spread with cream cheese and spoon on mushrooms. Top with green onions.