The $10 Mezze Platter: An Academy Awards-Inspired Recipe
Hey guys! I am THRILLED to be participating in an Academy Awards-inspired blog party with 7 of my favorite blogger friends!
I am a huge movie buff, and every year, I attempt to see as many of the Academy Awards Best Picture nominees as I can. This year, I took my hobby to the next level and teamed up with 7 other bloggers to bring you a total of 8 party-appropriate recipes – one for each of the Best Picture nominated films!
Check Out 7 Other Best Picture-Inspired Recipes:
- Birdman: Vegan Blackberry Whiskey Pie With Chocolate Pie Crust from Nellie Bellie
- Boyhood: All-Natural Texas Queso Tortilla Cups from Carpe Season
- Grand Budapest Hotel: Lemon Chantilly Cream Puffs from Femme Fraiche
- The Imitation Game: High Tea from Pickles Travel
- Selma: Alabama Firecrackers from The Honour System
- The Theory Of Everything: Boozy Nutella Milkshakes from Dining With Alice
- Whiplash: Golden Potato, Bacon, and Rosemary Pizza from Savoury Table
My Recipe: The $10 Mezze Platter, Inspired By American Sniper
Let me make one thing clear: American Sniper is not a film about food. Not in the least. But I was inspired by one scene in particular, which involved a group of people gathering over a table full of delicious-looking Middle-Eastern food.
Sticking to my cheap recipe theme, I came up with a mezze platter – a selection of dips and small bites that is often served as an appetizer course in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern countries – for less than $10.
The Menu & What I Paid
I usually have to shop around to find the cheapest food items possible, but one trip to Trader Joe’s was all it took to create this platter. Here’s what I paid:
- Picholine olives: $1.99
- Pita bread (to make homemade pita chips): $1.69
- English cucumber: $1.69
- Roasted garlic hummus: $1.99
- Greek yogurt (to make homemade tzatziki sauce): $1.69 (To make, mix one container of Greek yogurt with 1/4 cup diced cucumber, fresh garlic, and a teaspoon of red wine vinegar)
Total cost: $9.05 (not including cost of olive oil, vinegar, and garlic)
Start Planning Your Oscars Party Today
Now you have an excuse to throw an Academy Awards-themed party – and you have 8 party-ready recipes to choose from. Even better, get your friends to join in and each take a recipe. This could be the greatest party of your year!