Harvest Appetizer Platter
Creating a killer appetizer platter – for any occasion, any time of the year – doesn’t have to cost a lot of money.
I assembled this pretty platter using mostly items I had at home. I wanted to avoid a costly (and time-consuming!) trip to the grocery store.
Here’s how I did it:
How To Assemble A Budget-Friendly Appetizer Platter
- Raid your fridge and pantry: Inventory your fridge and pantry and look for odds and ends to fill your plate. I found 1/2 of a chocolate candy bar, some dried cranberries, and marcona almonds in my cupboard – all perfect for this cheese platter.
- Get creative with your ingredients: I had some leftover sourdough bread that was getting stale, so I made croutons out of it to extend its shelf life. In addition to adding it to this platter, I also used it to top my butternut squash soup.
- Seize the season: Choose fresh, seasonal produce to add to your platter:
- Try apples, pears or grapes in the fall – or whatever is fresh from your garden.
- Choose asparagus and sweet peas in the spring.
- Choose from an array of fresh, local produce in the summer.
Adorn your app platter with pretty (and free!) leaves, flowers, and acorns.
How To Make Roasted Grapes
The star of this appetizer platter was the roasted grapes. They were sweet and jammy – I couldn’t stop eating them.
And they couldn’t be easier to make.
Red, green, black, and other colored grapes can all be roasted. For smaller grapes, you may need to reduce baking time.
To make: Preheat oven to 400F. Toss desired amount of grapes with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the grape skins begin to blister. Shake the pan once during baking to ensure even roasting. Allow to cool before serving.
Do you have leftover roasted grapes? Use them:
- In salads (like this lentil, walnut & feta salad)
- In grilled cheese
- On pizza
More Appetizer Platter Ideas
- How to assemble a veggie platter on a budget
- How to assemble a killer charcuterie platter on a budget
- How to set up a DIY hummus bar
- Budget-friendly mezze platter
- The $10 appetizer spread
- Dessert “appetizer” platter
Stay in touch! Follow me on Instagram for more charcuterie/cheese plate inspiration – and more!