The $10 Cheese Plate
I absolutely love entertaining. I would throw a party every week if I could.
Unfortunately, I don’t have enough time (or money!) to do that. Thankfully, there are countless ways to throw a great get-together without spending a lot of money.
I had some friends over the other night for appetizers and sangria. I wanted to challenge myself to come up with an appetizer spread, namely a cheese plate, for less than $10.00. Here’s how I did it:
- I made homemade crackers, which cost about 50 cents for a large batch
- I shopped at ALDI
- I kept the menu simple: Two cheeses, two dippers, and grapes
- I avoided expensive cheeses. If you are on a budget, stick to less costly (but still tasty) cheeses.
- Homemade crackers – $.50
- Salami crackers (recipe below) – $2.99 from ALDI
- Habanero-horseradish cheese slices – $2.49 from ALDI
- Homemade cheese – $3.00
- Grapes – $.99
Total cost for entire cheese plate: $9.97
I recently bought a new cookbook: One-Hour Cheese by Claudia Lucero
The book is as amazing as it sounds. It is full of easy homemade cheese recipes that are categorized by easy, easier, and easiest.
This fromage facil took about 20 minutes to make, start to finish. It was delicious. Very mild and creamy. I will absolutely be making this cheese again.
I would highly recommend checking out this cookbook if you are interested in making your own cheese at home.
Truth be told, I ended up spending more on my party because I made a few extra items: homemade Irish soda bread, a Brie cheese appetizer, sangria slushies, and some watermelon.
How To Make Salami Crackers
The salami crackers served as sort of an alternative cracker on the cheese plate.
They couldn’t be easier to make.
Simply place salami slices in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry salami slices for a couple of minutes, turning half way through. Press down on any “bubbles” that form during frying to ensure even cooking. The salami crackers are crisp and stand up to dipping.
The $10 Appetizer Spread
Check out my previous post, where I prepared a huge cheap appetizer spread for $10.
How To Assemble a Killer Charcuterie Board On a Budget
Easy ways to create a great appetizer board without spending a lot of money:
- Dessert charcuterie platter
- Harvest/fall appetizer platter
- Holiday/Christmas grazing board
- Valentine’s Day snack board for two
- How to assemble a veggie tray on a budget
- How to assemble an unforgettable charcuterie platter on a budget
- How to set up a hummus bar
- Budget-friendly mezze platter
- The $10 appetizer spread