Cheesy Hot Dog Wontons Recipe
I’m back from vacation, feeling behind on projects and housework, and battling a cold. Before I curl up on the couch to get some much-needed rest (and to catch up on old Breaking Bad episodes) I wanted to share a really fun recipe with you.
About The Recipe
These hot dog wontons are a spin on pigs in a blanket. Although I love me some buttery crescent rolls, I wanted to try wrapping hot dogs in a wonton/egg roll wrapper. Mostly because I love experimenting with wonton wrapper-based recipes. Here are some of my favorites:
- Wonton crackers
- Wonton wrapper mozzarella sticks
- Banana-Nutella egg rolls
- Asparagus-cream cheese wonton fries
Does anyone have any other creative wonton wrapper recipe ideas? If so, I’d love to hear them in the comment section below.
What Kind Of Hot Dogs To Use
As you can see, I used regular, cheap-o hot dogs. They worked out pretty well, but I forgot that hot dogs expand when they’re baked. They tasted great – the cheese was oozing out of the wonton. But it was a little bit messy.
So when I make these next time, I’m going to use the longer, thinner hot dogs. They’re a little more expensive, but I imagine they won’t expand as much as these.
Undoubtedly, I will be posting more wonton wrapper recipes in the future. It’s in my blood. Why not follow me on Instagram to get cheap recipe updates and look at pretty photos? Thanks for stopping by!
Cheesy Wonton Hot Dogs Recipe
Yield: 8 wonton hot dogs
Cook Time: 12 min
Total Time: 20 min
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 large egg roll wrappers
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350F. To assemble hot dog wontons, lay an egg roll wrapper in front of you in a diamond shape. At one end, sprinkle on a couple of tablespoons of cheese. Lay the hot dog on the cheese. Fold the egg roll wrapper over the hot dog, and begin rolling up, folding in the sides as you get to them. Secure the edges of the egg roll wrapper with a bit of water. Continue assembling the rest of the hot dogs.
- Place the hot dog wontons on a large baking sheet that has been greased with oil. Using a pastry brush, brush each wonton generously with olive oil. Place in oven and bake for approximately 12 to 15 minutes, or until the egg roll wrapper is crispy and the hot dogs are hot in the center. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes before serving. Serve with ketchup, mustard, and other toppings, if desired.