Asparagus-Cream Cheese Wonton Fries Recipe
So I know this isn’t the healthiest asparagus recipe you’ll ever come across. But it’s one I think you’re gonna love.
Just the other day, I tried a dish similar to this one at Tiger Sushi at Mall of America. It was fabulous. The kind of dish that makes me want to run home and immediately try recreating it myself. Which is what I did, just hours later.
Thankfully the ingredient list was pretty short, keeping the cost down and the process simple.
Now that asparagus is in season, this appetizer recipe is super affordable. A large package of egg roll/wonton wrappers costs about $3, and now I have enough left over to make homemade egg rolls or some other dish. All in all, eight of these asparagus fries cost about $3.25. A pretty cheap appetizer, if I do say so myself.
People have a tendency to freak out a little bit when cooking with wonton wrappers. But take my word, it’s extremely easy. If you can work with a tortilla shell, you should have no problem working with a wonton wrapper. To make the wonton wrapper stick to itself, just seal the edge with a bit of water. Done!
First time visiting Cheap Recipe Blog? Welcome! I am thrilled that you are here. Get updates on the latest cheap recipe posts by liking my Facebook page. I only post cool stuff. I promise!
Check out these other wonton wrapper-based recipes:
Asparagus-Cream Cheese Wonton Fries
Yield: 8 asparagus fries
Cook Time: 5 min
Total Time: 20 min
- 8 large asparagus spears
- 8 large wonton wrappers
- 8 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Oil, for frying
- Bring a large saucepan filled with water to a boil. Place asparagus spears into water and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from boiling water and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside. (Alternatively, you could microwave the asparagus spears for about 20 seconds to soften slightly).
- Mix cream cheese and garlic powder together. Assemble each asparagus fry as noted above. Heat 3 or 4 tablespoons of cooking oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. The oil is hot enough when you dip the edge of a wonton wrapper in it and it sizzles. Fry 3 or 4 asparagus fries at a time. Once one side is brown, rotate and cook another side. Proceed until the whole asparagus fry is lightly golden brown.
- Place asparagus fries on a plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil. Serve with sweet chili sauce, wasabi mayonnaise, or your favorite dipping sauce.