Tortilla Shell Pizzas
Anyone who knows me knows how much I love pizza. But it’s not always practical cost-wise or health-wise to go out for pizza once a craving hits. That’s why this meal – tortilla shell pizzas – works so well. These pizzas are completely adaptable, and you probably have all the ingredients you need to make them in your fridge right now. And the best part? Depending on the toppings, each pizza can cost as little as 50 cents.
- Tortilla shells (8) = $.40 each (if using homemade) or $1.20 (if using store bought)
- Sauce (1/3 cup) = $.40 (approximately)
- Toppings (1/2 cup) = $1.20 (approximate cost – will vary depending on what toppings you use)
- Cheese (1 cup) = $1.50 (approximate cost – will vary depending on what type of cheese you use)
Total cost of recipe (8 pizzas for 4 people): $3.50
This recipe is part of my $10 Food Day series. This includes four recipes (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack), enough to feed a family of four for less than $10 – for the entire day!
Tortilla Shell Pizzas Recipe
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 8 min
For each pizza:
- 1 tortilla shell (white, whole wheat, or homemade)
- 2 teaspoons sauce (such as sweet chili sauce, tomato sauce, or salsa)
- 1 tablespoon toppings (meat, vegetables, olives, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons cheese (Parmesan, smoked Gouda, or mozzarella)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Top a tortilla shell with desired sauce, toppings, and cheese.
- Bake for approximately 7 to 8 minutes. If you can do so safely, bake the pizzas directly on the oven rack for an extra crispy crust.